End User License Agreement
Resideo Connected Savings Terms and Conditions
Last updated: September 23, 2022
BY ACCESSING AND USING CONNECTED SAVINGS OR SERVICES IN ANY WAY, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS, LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY, AND TERMINATION PROVISIONS BELOW. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS, DO NOT USE CONNECTED SAVINGS SERVICES.
Ademco Inc., on behalf of itself and its affiliates, (hereinafter referred to as Resideo, "us", or “we”), offers the Connected Savings (CS) platform and associated services through a series of home and commercial energy programs. The CS platform offers management and insights to eligible Distributed Energy Resources (“DERs"). Eligible DERs may include any connected device that can be remotely adjusted to provide benefit to the grid and/or home resident, including, but not limited to, thermostats, electric vehicles, water heaters, solar panels, battery storage, and pool pumps. There are multiple services (hereinafter “Services”) that may be provided within the CS program:
1 – Energy Efficiency Optimization: An energy efficiency solution that optimizes your energy use via your connected thermostat to minimize the energy used to heat and cool your house, helping save you money while maintaining comfort.
2 – Energy Reports: An energy efficiency analysis service that provides home energy reports to consumers with information on their energy use, next month’s bill forecast, suggestions on thermostat schedules and more.
3 – Load Management: A load management service that provides benefits to the grid, energy service providers and/or end users, which benefits may include grid reliability and cost reductions.
4 – Demand Optimization: DERs may allow consumers to see appliance usage from participating manufacturers and will allow the energy service provider to control these devices during Load Management events (“Demand Optimization Events”).
Resideo may get paid by the utility or consumer to provide these services. Resideo is collaborating with energy service providers and DER providers to bring the CS services above to market.
- Participation in the CS Program. CS offers two main benefits to consumers–Energy Efficiency and Load Management. The details of the specific CS services, benefits, and terms that apply to you depend on your geographic location and the type of structure (i.e. house, apartment, etc.) where you live. Your energy service provider, Resideo, or our partners will notify you of the benefits and terms of the program that are available to you during the sign-up process and in a sign-up confirmation email. The sign-up confirmation email will also include information on how to opt-out of the program. CS may periodically provide digital messaging to you in an effort to update you on new service offerings as they become available. Energy Efficiency Optimization is the CS Service whereby CS manages DERs (most commonly, but not limited to, controlled thermostats) for energy efficiency, based on the occupant comfort settings, weather, thermostat data, and smart meter data (where available). If provided by the energy service provider, and/or the manufacturer of a DER, CS uses this data to build a thermodynamic model of the house that allows CS to minimize energy used to heat or cool your house to maintain your comfort settings. Sign up for the CS program via your thermostat portal or mobile application. Once your home has been modeled and the Service is active, CS will control your thermostat, and cooling and heating systems, for energy efficiency only given your programmed set points. We will also provide you with a monthly Energy Report that provides insights on your energy usage and suggests ways in which you could reduce your usage and potentially your bills. There are many factors that can influence the degree of efficiency that can be obtained for a given home, including the weather and how the home is situated and constructed. For more information regarding the Energy Efficiency Optimization Service, please go to: http://www.connectedsavings.com. Load Management is the CS Service whereby CS manages DERs, most commonly, but not limited to, connected thermostats by shifting heating and cooling load, by stopping or starting operation, to protect grid reliability and deliver benefits, such as cost reductions, to energy service providers or their customers. Your comfort and settings will be maintained as much as possible, and you are likely to be unaware of the shift. The energy service providers use this service to reduce the possibility of service interruptions and to better manage the load during peak conditions. In order to participate in the Load Management Program, you must meet the eligibility requirements for the program you are enrolling our energy service providers that is sponsoring a Load Management program. By agreeing to participate in the CS Load Management program you agree to allow CS to modify the control of your DER as warranted by system load. For more information, see http://www.connected savings.com for information regarding the CS Load Management program. If a CS Load Management service becomes available in your area, CS may notify you via email of program specifics. To participate in any CS program or service, you must meet the eligibility requirements set forth by Resideo for each CS program or service. Additionally, you must meet the separate eligibility requirement for the program or service set forth by the associate energy service provider(s).
- Your Account and Use of CS. CS and Co-Branded Sites may be used only by persons over 18 years of age. You must register to use CS, including the web and, if applicable, mobile enabled functionality as referenced in the program details. To register, you must provide the information specified in the registration form (“Registration Data”). By registering, and in consideration for your use of CS, you represent that: (i) the Registration Data that you provide about yourself is true, accurate, current, and complete; (ii) you are at least 18 years of age; (iii) you will maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current, and complete. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or if Resideo has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we have the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of CS; and (iv) you have installed, or will install prior to your use of a Service, a functioning and connected DER, and maintain it in a connected state throughout the Program period in order to participate in the program. Your use of CS must comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances, including any laws regarding the export of data or software. By using CS, you represent that you have the right to provide the information you provide to us, including the consent of third parties when required. In connection with your use of CS, you and your energy service provider may provide CS with data about your energy use, including data or information resulting from your use of CS.
- Limited Use License to CS. Resideo grants you a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive right and license to use CS and to view and download the Content solely for your internal/personal use, and subject to the condition that you do not (and do not allow any third party to) copy, modify, create a derivative work from, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code, sell, assign, sublicense, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any right in or access to CS. You agree not to use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, “robots,” “spiders,” or “offline readers.” You agree not to modify CS, or any part thereof, in any manner or form, nor to use modified versions of CS for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized access to. You agree not to access CS by any means other than through the interface that is provided by Resideo expressly for the purpose of accessing CS. CS may not be used for any illegal purpose. You may not access our networks, computers, or CS in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair them, or interfere with any other person’s use and enjoyment of CS. You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any Content or Services, other accounts, computer systems, or networks connected with CS. No commercial use or redistribution of any Content is permitted.
- Required Connectivity. Some portions of CS require a data connection between your DER and our servers. You must provide this connection, at your sole expense and responsibility. We are not responsible for the availability of this connection or liable for any consequences that may result from the unavailability or quality of such connection. Some portions of CS may require a connection to your electric, gas, or other energy service providers (between you and the energy service providers, the energy service providers and us, or both). We are not responsible for the availability of these connections or liable for any consequences that may result from the unavailability or quality of such connections. If provided by the energy service provider, you agree to allow us access to your billing and usage information from the energy service providers for the sole purpose of providing CS services as defined herein.
- System Feature Acknowledgements. Devices may automatically download and install software, firmware, and other updates. By registering you agree to receive such updates.
- Credentials. CS requires authentication to access and use. Upon registering, you will receive instructions regarding your use of existing username(s) and password(s) or other authentication method established with your DER manufacturer or energy service provider, or in the absence of these you may receive a new username and password. Certain other Content, features, or functionalities within CS may require additional access codes. Your username, password, and any other access codes assigned to you are, collectively, your “Credentials.” You are solely responsible for (i) maintaining the strict confidentiality of your Credentials, (ii) not allowing another person to use your Credentials to access CS, (iii) any and all damages or losses that may be incurred or suffered as a result of any activities that occur under your Credentials. You agree to (a) immediately notify Resideo in writing of any unauthorized use of your Credentials or any other breach of security. Resideo is not and shall not be liable for any harm arising from or relating to the theft of your Credentials, your disclosure of your Credentials, or the use of your Credentials by another person or entity.
- Right to Terminate. Your use of CS is subject to and expressly conditioned on your compliance with these Terms. If you fail to comply with the Terms or any other guidelines and rules published by Resideo, your permission to use CS ends automatically. We may terminate and/or suspend your access to any portion of CS for any reason. Any such termination or suspension shall be in Resideo's sole discretion and may occur without prior notice, or any notice. This suspension or termination may delete information, files, and other previously available Content. Resideo further reserves the right to terminate or suspend any user’s access to CS or to any portion of CS for any conduct that Resideo, in its sole discretion, believes is or may be directly or indirectly harmful to other users, to Resideo or its subsidiaries, affiliates, or business contractors, or to other third parties, or for any conduct that violates any local, state, federal, or foreign laws or regulations. Resideo further reserves the right to terminate or suspend any user’s access to CS, or to terminate Services in their entirety, for any reason or for no reason at all, in Resideo’s sole discretion, without prior notice, and without liability to you.
- No Archive. CS is not and shall not function as an archive. Resideo shall have no liability to you or any other person for loss, damage, or destruction to your information, including, without limitation, any energy service provider bills, usage information, or similar. You shall be solely responsible for maintaining independent archival and backup copies of your information.
- Indemnification. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold Resideo, its parent and affiliates, and your energy service provider and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors and strategic partners and their respective members, directors, officers, employees, stockholders, and agents harmless against any losses, expenses, costs, or damages (hereinafter, the “Indemnified Parties”) (including Resideo’s, its distributors’ and its strategic partners’, and your energy service providers’ reasonable attorneys’ fees, expert fees’ and other reasonable costs of litigation) arising from, incurred as a result of, or in any manner related to (1) your breach of these Terms, and (2) your unauthorized or unlawful use of CS, Services, or Content, and (3) the unauthorized or unlawful use of CS by any other person using your Credentials, (4) any Contributions by you, and (5) any third-party actions related to or arising from your receipt or use of CS or any portion thereof, whether authorized or unauthorized under these Terms.
- Exclusion of Warranties. CS AND THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER. ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, AND STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS, AND OR WARRANTIES ARISING BY COURSE OF DEALING OR CUSTOM OR TRADE, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES FOR THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, AND PERFORMANCE OF CS, CO-BRANDED SITES AND/OR SERVICES. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES FOR OTHER SERVICES OR GOODS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON THE SERVICES OR RECEIVED THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED IN THE SERVICES, AS WELL AS FOR ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE RECEIVED THROUGH CS OR THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED BY CS, INCLUDING CO-BRANDED SITES. THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES SIMILARLY DISCLAIM, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY WARRANTIES FOR ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE OBTAINED THROUGH CS. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR (1) THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, LEGALITY, RELIABILITY, OR OPERABILITY OR AVAILABILITY OF ANY CONTENT OR INFORMATION OR MATERIAL PROVIDED BY OR ACCESSIBLE THROUGH CS OR CO-BRANDED SITES; OR (2) THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE CS OR CO-BRANDED SITES; OR (3) THE DELETION, FAILURE TO STORE, MISDELIVERY, OR UNTIMELY DELIVERY OF ANY INFORMATION OR MATERIAL; OR (4) BREACHES OF SECURITY; OR (5) INFORMATION COMMUNICATED THROUGH EMAIL; OR (6) ANY OTHER FAILURE TO PERFORM BY THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES OR RESIDEO’S CONTENT PROVIDERS, OR LICENSORS. NEITHER OF THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES DO NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTY THAT CONTENT OR SERVICES SATISFY GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS. CS AND ANY CO-BRANDED SITES WERE DEVELOPED FOR USE IN THE UNITED STATES, AND THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES DO NOT MAKE ANY REPRESENTATION CONCERNING CS WHEN USED IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY. THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES DISCLAIM ANY RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY HARM RESULTING FROM DOWNLOADING OR ACCESSING ANY INFORMATION OR MATERIAL THROUGH CS, CO-BRANDED SITES, OR SERVICES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, FOR HARM CAUSED BY VIRUSES OR SIMILAR CONTAMINATION OR DESTRUCTIVE FEATURES. THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES MAKE NO WARRANTY REGARDING THE RELIABILITY OR ACCESSIBILITY OF ANY DATA STORAGE FACILITIES OFFERED BY RESIDEO, ITS DISTRIBUTORS OR PARTNERS.
- Limitation of Liability. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY AUTHORIZED USER ON ACCOUNT OF THAT USER’S USE AND/OR RELIANCE ON CS, CO-BRANDED SITES OR THE SERVICES. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO PREVENT RECOVERY OF DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, AND PUNITIVE DAMAGES (EVEN IF THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES). SUCH LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARISE FROM USE OR MISUSE OF AND/OR RELIANCE ON THE SERVICES, FROM INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES, OR FROM THE INTERRUPTION, SUSPENSION, OR TERMINATION OF CS, CO-BRANDED SITES, OR SERVICES (INCLUDING SUCH DAMAGES INCURRED BY THIRD PARTIES). THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL ALSO APPLY WITH RESPECT TO DAMAGES INCURRED BY REASON OF OTHER SERVICES OR GOODS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON CS, CO-BRANDED SITES OR SERVICES RECEIVED THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED IN CS OR SERVICES, AS WELL AS BY REASON OF ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON CS, CO-BRANDED SITES, OR SERVICES OR RECEIVED THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED IN CS, CO-BRANDED SITES, OR SERVICES. SUCH LIMITATION SHALL APPLY, WITHOUT LIMITATION, TO THE COSTS OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, LOST PROFITS, OR LOST DATA. SUCH LIMITATION SHALL APPLY WITH RESPECT TO THE PERFORMANCE OR NON-PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICES OR ANY INFORMATION OR MERCHANDISE THAT APPEARS ON, OR IS LINKED OR RELATED IN ANY WAY TO, CS, CO-BRANDED SITES, OR SERVICES OR RESIDEO'S PARENT COMPANY OR ITS AFFILIATES. SUCH LIMITATION SHALL APPLY NOTWITHSTANDING ANY FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY. SUCH LIMITATION SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DELAY OR FAILURE IN PERFORMANCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM ACTS OF NATURE, FORCES, OR CAUSES BEYOND ITS REASONABLE CONTROL, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INTERNET FAILURES, COMPUTER EQUIPMENT FAILURES, TELECOMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT FAILURES, OTHER EQUIPMENT FAILURES, ELECTRICAL POWER FAILURES, STRIKES, LABOR DISPUTES, RIOTS, INSURRECTIONS, CIVIL DISTURBANCES, SHORTAGES OF LABOR OR MATERIALS, FIRES, FLOODS, STORMS, EXPLOSIONS, ACTS OF GOD, WAR, GOVERNMENTAL ACTIONS, ORDERS OF DOMESTIC OR FOREIGN COURTS OR TRIBUNALS, NON-PERFORMANCE OF THIRD PARTIES, OR LOSS OF OR FLUCTUATIONS IN HEAT, LIGHT, OR AIR CONDITIONING. IF, NOTWITHSTANDING THESE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY, THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES ARE DETERMINED BY A COURT OF COMPETENT JURISDICTION TO BE LIABLE TO YOU IN ANY WAY, IN NO EVENT SHALL THEIR COLLECTIVE LIABILITY EXCEED THE GREATER OF (A) THE FEES YOU HAVE PAID TO RESIDEO, ITS DISTRIBUTORS OR STRATEGIC PARTNERS (AS APPLICABLE) RELATING TO CS OR ANY CO-BRANDED SITE DURING THE TWELVE MONTH PERIOD IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING YOUR CLAIM, OR (B) ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00). YOU AND THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES AGREE THAT THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS AN AGREED ALLOCATION OF RISK BETWEEN YOU AND THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT ABSENT YOUR AGREEMENT TO THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES WOULD NOT PROVIDE CS OR SERVICES TO YOU.
- Our Proprietary Rights. As between you and Resideo, Resideo owns and retains, solely and exclusively, all rights, title, and interest in CS and all software (including source code and object code), Content, and documentation that is available through CS or that is used to instantiate CS (collectively, the “Licensed Materials”). CS and the Licensed Materials are protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, including patent, trademark, and copyright laws. CS and the Licensed Materials and all intellectual property in CS and the Licensed Materials belong to and are the property of Resideo (or its licensors). Without limiting the preceding sentence, Resideo (or its licensors) owns and retains all copyrights in the Content, individual web pages, components of web pages, and collective works available through CS.
- General Legal Terms. You agree that Resideo has the right to make changes to these Terms at any time. You can review the most current version of the Terms at any time at https://connectedsavings.com/eula/. Your continued use of CS following a change in the terms constitutes your agreement to the changed Terms. You agree that these standards for notice of amendments to these Terms are reasonable. Resideo may assign this agreement, in whole or in part, in its sole discretion. You may not assign your rights under these Terms without Resideo's prior written permission, which it may withhold in its sole discretion. Any attempt to assign your rights under these Terms without Resideo's permission shall be void. This Agreement is the entire agreement between you and us relating to CS and replaces any prior agreements unless such prior or subsequent agreement explicitly provides otherwise and specifically references this Agreement. If there is any conflict between this Agreement and a signed, written agreement between you and us related to CS, the signed, written agreement will control. Our licensors may be third-party beneficiaries to this Agreement pursuant to our agreements with them. To the extent our licensors are third-party beneficiaries to this Agreement, the rights and protections provided to us hereunder inure to their benefit. There are no other third-party beneficiaries to this Agreement. The parties are independent contractors, and nothing in this Agreement creates an agency, partnership, or joint venture. This Agreement is governed by the law of the state in which your DER is located, excluding that state’s choice-of-law rules. THE EXCLUSIVE VENUE FOR ANY DISPUTE RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT IS THE STATE IN WHICH YOUR DER IS LOCATED. YOU AND WE BOTH CONSENT TO THE PERSONAL JURISDICTION OF THESE COURTS. Nothing in this Agreement limits either party’s ability to seek equitable relief. YOU AGREE THAT, REGARDLESS OF ANY STATUTE OR LAW TO THE CONTRARY, ANY CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO CS, SERVICES, OR THESE TERMS MUST BE FILED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER SUCH CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION AROSE OR BE FOREVER BARRED.